Protecting Your Nervous System with Chiropractic Care
Your nervous system controls every part of your body. It’s the reason that your heart beats in a normal rhythm and your limbs move the way they do. When the nervous system doesn’t function as it should, you’re more likely to develop a variety of problems, ranging from gastrointestinal issues to frequent illnesses to troubles with balance and coordination.
Fortunately, regular visits to your chiropractor can help improve the way your nervous system works and enhance your physical and mental health.
How Your Chiropractor Helps You Care for Your Nervous System
Your nervous system is made up of your brain, spinal column, and the nerves that branch out from the spinal column. A problem with any one of these structures can affect your health.
Subluxations are a common cause of nervous system issues. They occur when one or more of the vertebrae that make up your spine becomes misaligned, Subluxations can press on nerves, interfering with the transfer of signals from the brain to various parts of your body.
Your chiropractor uses spinal manipulation to reduce pressure on the nerves and realign your vertebrae. The therapy involves quick thrusts to the spine that move the vertebrae back into position. Spinal manipulation offers a simple, effective way to improve nervous system functioning and relieve pain and inflammation.
Thanks to chiropractic care, you can look forward to:
- A Healthier Digestive System. Abdominal cramps, diarrhea, constipation, gas, and heartburn are more likely to occur if the nerves that serve your gastrointestinal system aren’t performing optimally. Regular adjustments may improve your gut health and reduce discomfort and emergency visits to the bathroom.
- Better Balance. Nerve issues may also affect your balance and coordination, leading to dizziness, vertigo, and falls. Balance problems can affect people of any age but become more common with age. Improving your nerve health with chiropractic treatment can help you avoid broken bones, sprains, cuts, and other injuries that can happen if you struggle to keep your balance.
- Reduced Stress. Have you ever wondered why stress affects some people more than others? A nervous system issue may be to blame. In addition to relieving pressure on the nerves, spinal manipulation, massage, and other therapies also increase how many endorphins that your body produces. These feel-good chemicals help you feel relaxed and happy and decrease pain naturally.
- More Sleep. Lack of sleep not only increases your risk of injuries but is linked to chronic health problems, like diabetes and high blood pressure, according to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. If you have trouble staying asleep or falling asleep, you might feel irritable and find it difficult to concentrate at work or school. In addition to relieving subluxations, chiropractic treatment also eases pain and stress, which can be factors in poor sleep.
- Faster Metabolism. Do you have trouble maintaining a healthy weight even if you watch what you eat? Nervous system issues due to subluxations could be affecting your body’s ability to turn food into energy. Improving your sluggish metabolism could be as simple as paying a visit to your chiropractor.
Are you ready to enhance your nervous system with chiropractic care? Contact our office to schedule a visit with the chiropractor.
Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics: Effectiveness of Chiropractic Care to Improve Sensorimotor Function Associated With Falls Risk in Older People: A Randomized Controlled Trial, 5/16